At S&S we have a wide variety of wood floor molding from types and species of wood floors at the best values possible. All the moldings are unfinished and ready-to-install.

Types of Floor Molding


Reducer Molding

This is a kind of transition molding. Reducer molding is used to join hardwood floors with floors of different heights such as vinyl, ceramic tile or low pile carpeting. A Reducer can also be used on a sliding glass door when there is no lip or track protruding above the floor. If a flooring edge ends without touching anything, then a reducer molding is the perfect choice to evenly adjust the design and construction of your floor.

Stair Nose Molding

This is used to trim out the edges of step-downs and staircases covered by laminate or wood flooring. It is available in two styles: flush and overlap. Overlap style is easier to work with, especially if you do not have a lot of flooring experience. A lip overlaps the flooring on the top or tread of the stair or step down. This style of stair nose is also ideal for covering up any imperfect saw cuts.



This is another common transition molding. T-Molding is used to make transitions from two different flooring materials that are of the same height. If you had a Laminate floor in your living room and then decided to put the same floor in your kitchen, then you would use a T-Molding for the transition between your living room and kitchen. T-Molding may snap because of the pressure caused by the expanding Hardwood. Therefore, it is important to make sure there is adequate expansion space left between the flooring edges joined by the T-molding.

End Cap Molding

is probably the most commonly used “transition molding.” We say transition molding because unlike quarter round or wall base, this molding is used to transition from a wood or laminate floor to another type of flooring. But this is just one use for square nose. It is also used against sliding glass door tracks and metal thresholds of exterior doors, or to join another floor or surface that is higher than the new floor. For example, if your new flooring met the marble threshold of a bathroom doorway, and the threshold was the higher surface, then square nose would be the correct molding to use.


Quarter Round Molding

“Quarter round” and “wall base” moldings are used to cover the expansion gap between the flooring and the adjacent wall. If the original flooring did not have wall base installed, it could be added with or without quarter round. These molding types can be purchased unfinished and painted or stained as desired. Another option would be to purchase pre-finished molding that matches your new flooring. It is possible to use both the wall base molding and the quarter round molding together. This is more a decorative treatment, since it is not necessary to use both because a wall base molding should be sufficient for the job.

Browse all species of wood molding at S&S ranging from Hardwood to Laminate to Vinyl  and so much more! Click below!

Or visit the S&S Location closest to you!